A 3/4 cup warm water
B 1 tsp. sugar
C 2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
D 125 gr. butter (room temperature)
E 1 Kg. baker flour (2.2 lb)
F 1/2 tsp. salt
G 1/2 tsp.sugar
H 1/2 lt. lukewarm milk (2 cups)
I 200 gr. pitted green olives (0.4 lb)
J 800 gr. sliced smoked ham (1.6 lb)
K 100 gr. raisins (0.2 lb)
L papelon (sugar cane dissolved in water- must be thick)
M 1 egg (to varnish)
- In a small bowl put A and B –> dissolve. add C. let sit 15min.
- Put D + E + F+ G in a bowl, make a hole in the center an add H. Mix everything. Add yeast.
- Knead ’til you have a soft, non-sticky, beautiful dough, beating it against the table for about 10 min.
- Let it ferment (raise) for an hour (use a bowl slightly greased and cover it with plastic – don’t let the plastic touch the dough!)
- Cut the dough in two. With your fist beat down the dough and take all gases out of each piece and let them rest, covered, for 15 min, so they can relax.
- Roll out the dough (one piece a time) in a 8” x 11” piece.
- Arrange the fillings: (cover the whole dough except for a small part at the end, so you can sealed the bread up)
- moist the small part that is not filled
- roll it up, not too tight but not too loose!!
- Put the roll in a sheet pan, and let it proof (second raising) for about 30-45min.
- Varnish with egg just before to put it in the oven.
- 350degrees. 45min.
- Let cool down.